World Powerlifting Champion Su Farrell Interviews with Directlyfitness.com
- Age: 30
- Height: 165cm
- Weight: Off season 62kg, compete at 55kg
- Occupation: Personal Trainer
- Titles: WPC World Powerlifting Champion 2011, UKBFF MuscleTalk Champion 2012, UKBFF British Finalist 2012
- Upcoming Events: None at the moment
1. Tell us a little about how you got to your current success level.
I was a gymnast as a kid and have always trained in a gym since I was old enough to be able to. I took up powerlifting in 2010 and competed for about a year before taking up bodybuilding in February 2012.
I have competed in three shows this year and am looking forward to next year now I have a little more experience in the sport.
2. What do you think is the number one thing keeping you motivated?
I want to be the best I can so that motivates me to train hard and eat clean. The thought of competing looking anything less than my best definitely makes me train harder and stick to my diet!
3. What is your training routine like ?
I train 6 days per week, using a 5 day split. Chest and triceps, quads and calves, back and biceps, shoulders and abs and hamstrings and calves. Exercises, set and reps vary depending on how far out from comp I am.
4. What kind of cardio do you feel works best for you?
I only start VERY low intensity cardio about 8 weeks (max) from comp and this really is VERY low intensity. We call it “fuel work” as I am literally just moving instead of being still! I increase the time by 5mins every week up to comp.
5. What do you think of free weight vs. machine training?
I think both have their place depending on training goals. I use a mix of both free weights and machines in my training.
6. How does your on and off season training and diet differ?
To be honest with you, I haven’t really had an “off season” since I started competing at the start of the year. I plan to lift heavier and incorporate some Olympic Lifting when I am not in comp prep and just try to keep my diet clean without being too strict.
7. What top 3 tips you can give to our readers regarding nutrition?
Always prepare your meals the night before, eat regularly (every 2-3 hours for me) and be consistent. It isn’t gong to happen overnight!
8. What’s your diet like?
When on comp diet I eat the same thing every day. Steak and nuts for breakfast, three meals of chicken/white fish and green beans and alternate between steak and salmon pre workout. Plus a pre and post workout drink. And supplements of course.
9. Do you believe in cheat meals? Why or why not?
They have their place if used correctly. I usually have a “cheat meal” on average every two to three weeks.
10. Which physical feature you are most proud of?
I love to train shoulders and am very proud of them!
11. What supplements do you use if any? If not, why not?
- Glutamine, Acetyl L Carnitine, Vit D and Vit C upon waking
- Omega 3′s, Multivits and CLA three times a day
- BCAA’s during training
- Whey protein, Glutamine, Creatine, Glycine, Vit E and Vit C post training
- Zinc Matrix and Glutamine pre bed
12. Favorite Bodybuilders, models, or athletes?
I am a big fan of all the US figure athletes, Erin Stern, Nicole Wilkins, Larissa Reis etc. Louise Rogers is a great UK athlete as well.
13. Do you listen to music while you workout?
Not always, but if I do it’s either cheese or hardcore metal! A little different I know but depends on my mood!
14. Who inspires you most?
I don’t think I can depend on others to inspire me so I have to do that myself. I am inspired to change my body for the better!
15. If you never got into this sport, what do you think you’d be doing?
I guess I would still be powerlifting or even trying to break into competitive weightlifting. Or simply training hard in the gym to look and feel good.
16. Any childhood dreams you’re currently working toward?
It’s not a childhood dream but I’d love to get my pro card one day and compete in the US…a long way off perhaps but everyone needs a dream.
17. Any hobbies you like to do?
I like to go to the cinema and spend time with my friends. To be honest, I don’t have a great deal of time (or energy!) to do much more than work, train, sleep and eat when I’m prepping!
18. List one random fact about yourself your readers might not know.
I’m a big Britney Spears fan!
19. If you could change one thing about your physique what would it be?
I have the ability to change my physique and am doing so every day…
20. What last 3 tips would you give to our readers to reach their fitness goals?
Train hard, eat clean and be consistent!
21. Anyone you want to thank for your success?
My friends and family for understanding my lifestyle and my Coach Phil Learney for his fantastic knowledge and never ending support. I couldn’t do it without him!
22. Do you have a favorite quote?
“Today I will give everything I have, what I keep inside I will lose forever” – Peter Twist
23. Where can our readers reach you?
My athlete page on Facebook is probably the best place to keep up to date with my competition plans for 2013!
Facebook: Su Farrell